Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Visit With King William & Friends

My stompin’ grounds in Texas are typically within the Austin area.
I love everything about Austin and could give you quite the tour there – great foods, thrifty finds, amazing parks and all my favorite music venues. Nearby San Antonio, however, still remains somewhat of a mystery to me. My husband grew up there, so I have found myself in San Antonio quite often over the past few years - although a lot of that time is spent driving around lost in San Antonio! A few years back, I was lost (yet again…) and accidentally stumbled upon the most amazing neighborhood. When I did manage to find the way back to my in-laws home, I excitedly told them about this neighborhood that I had found - beautiful homes from years' past and chocked with luscious trees and foliage. They smiled and simply said, “Oh...you were in the King William District”. So this wonderful mystery neighborhood does indeed exist, and it has a name!

On this trip to see family in Texas, I decided to do a picture tour of the King William District and his nearby neighbor, Monte Vista. You will notice that Monte Vista has more of a Spanish influence in some of it’s homes. All I know, is that I’ll take one of each – they are all beautiful and I would love to know the history that each one has seen.

Let's get on with our antique casa show 'n tell. I now introduce to you, the King William District

This southern living dream is on the corner of one of the entrances to the area...


This one is kept in immaculate condition...


A beautiful cousin to Key West...


You couldn't possibly wake up grumpy in this one...


This baby needs some TLC. I wish I could be the one to breathe more life into it...


Mega-sized and beautiful!



Want to be King William's neighbor? This one's For Sale!



And now onto the King’s neighbor, Monte Vista…


A Spanish beauty!


Love the carport and windows, windows, windows!



Monte beautiful...



"Stately" is the word you're looking for...


In the words of Rachael Ray, Yummo!



See the room with the windows, just above the carport? That would be My craft room!



Classic brick and scrumptious windows...


Need a new project? This one needs a little TLC...and it's For Sale!



I hope you enjoyed our little tour of King William & Friends. If you're ever in the San Antonio area, take a look for yourself. I can promise you will be inspired!

Here's who we're linking up to this week...




Update: October 10, 2010
Linking up With Chari @ Sunday Favorites.
Stop by & enjoy!


29 comments:

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} said...

All of those houses are Gorgeous!! And I am with you... I would take them ALL! :)

iheartsunnydays said...

Oh my! What a wonderful neighbourhood! My favourite is the one where YOU have your craft room above MY carport!!!

Vonlipi said...

Those are lovely houses! I would move right away if I could! Happy VTT!

Flory said...

what a great experience... hmmm. i'd like to restore the last one.:)

Maureen said...

Beautiful! I have a fascination with old buildings and architecture so thanks for sharing a little of the south.

CC said...

Oh my Diane..
These homes are just gorgeous.. I would take any one of them and be happy. Love those huge wrap-around porches. Happy VTT..nave a wonderful day..

Coloradolady said...

I'm with you, I'd love to be the one to own one of these and fix it up, I have been to San Antonio and never seen this neighborhood...it is amazing. Thanks for showing us a tour today. Have a great VTT!

Miri said...

Beautiful houses! Thanks for sharing!

Tallulah's Antique Closet said...

Thanks for showing the great houses. I like the poraches on them and I bet some have great gardens. I hope you find your vintage trellis. Have a good weekend..Julian

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

They're each one so beautiful! I love old homes. Our first house was a bungalow, now on the registry of Historic homes. I want an old home again someday! Thanks for sharing these beauties!

Jocelyn said...

Lovely old homes. They each have so much character.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Beth @ The Quilt Ladies said...

Thanks for sharing, I had one of these and I miss it every day. But that Grand baby was so worth the move !

lisaroy said...

wow, what great architecture! I love old homes with big verandas - that yellow one could be a real beauty!

Crystal said...

They're all so beautiful! I'd be happy to have any one of them!!

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Oh Baby! That was worth the trip. I love house tours and I thank you for sharing this one.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

I love the older homes and these are all beautiful! Thanks for visiting me and your sweet comment on my numbered box project.

Diann @ the Thrifty Groove said...

Oh, all those homes are just beautiful!!

MomWaldsPlace said...

Would love to receive any of these in my Easter Basket!

Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} said...

i will take one of those please...!!!

Sausha @ {show & tell}

xinex said...

Wow! Thanks for showing us these gorgeous homes!...Christine

Meri said...

You're right -- the bottom one does beg someone to love it and bring it to mint condition. And Austin's a pretty place (but so far from the people I love).

Laura said...

what fantastic houses! I'd love to have a home with columns someday!

Jess said...

Wow those are so beautiful! Thanks so much for linking to Favorite Things Friday!

Diann @ The thrifty Groove said...

Love all these gorgeous houses!

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Diane...

My friend, Welcome to Sunday Favorites! It's such a pleasure to have you! I don't believe that we have ever met? We have much in common, I think. I too live in Colorado. I moved here about 10 yrs. ago from south Texas. I had a place on Lake Corpus Christi..about 90 mls. south of San Antonio. I've spent lots of time in SA myself, and like you...have been lost a time or two there! Hehe! I have never heard of the King William district! Ohhh yes...they do have some magnificent homes. I really enjoyed your photo tour! One of my favorites was the home that needed a little TLC. Ohhh, wouldn't that be fun to fix up? I also loved the home that was for sale...that gorgeous rounded front and all those pretty pillars! I also enjoyed the Monte Vista tour of homes as well! I do like the Spanish flavor of architecture but the homes in King William district are more my style and to my liking!

Thank you so much for sharing all of these beauties with us today for Sunday Favorites...it was such a treat! I do hope that you'll join us for Sunday Favorites again, my friend! It's so nice to meet you, Diane!

Warmest autumn wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

PS...where are you in Colorado, if you don't mind me asking? I'm located in the north eastern corner...near Sterling!

Lori E said...

With every picture I thought "this is my favorite" but then I would see the next and the next. Drool.

Cass @ That Old House said...

What amazing houses! Any one of them could be the house I would watn to live in when I grow up! :-P

Fabulous. There's nothing I love more than old wonderful houses. Well. . . there is chocolate, but houses may even beat that.
Cass

Anitra Cameron said...

Oh, my. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I love them all. Wouldn't you just love to see inside them?

Funny, makes me think of a house I bought years ago. It was a homely old Craftsman bungalow. My 12 year old daughter and I were sitting at the dining room one day, looking across the street at the stately white Victorian on the opposite corner, and she said, "I wish we'd bought that one." "Yeah, it's beautiful," I said, "but just think: If we had, we'd be looking at this one! This way, we get the better view!"

Glad for Sunday Favorites--lovely to meet you.

Keetha Broyles said...

I LOVE this houses! Thanks so much for showing them to us!

Related Posts with Thumbnails