Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The All Things Dreamy Thursdays, Linky #2

Welcome back! We’re off to our All Things Dreamy Thursdays, week #2.

Today we’re headed into my küchen schrank to take a peek at some china. I’ve bought lots of fun things from all over the place, but today I’m highlighting some pieces that I have inherited. These are closest to my heart!

Now, I promise I’ll get to the show n’ tell of these precious pieces, but first here’s some background on why they are so dear to me. My grandmother was an avid collector of china – I also inherited her shoe addiction and travel bug! From what I remember, she had at least 6 major china collections. Unfortunately I was away at college when she passed away and there was a massive estate sale that took place, without me knowing. My grandmother had always promised me that her things were my things, as I was the sole granddaughter, so I was pretty devastated. I did find out later that the family did keep some of her things, including one of her sets of china. I was told that the china would be mine after I married.
Get married = get china? Too easy!

Well…years passed and I was not married. I would longingly stare at her china during family holiday get-togethers. I did finally marry at age 36, but at that time, her china was living with family, out of the country. This past year my father sold his home in Canada and brought back all of the belongings from the house there. Guess what was on the truck? MY china! So, 22 years after my sweet grandmother passed away, I was finally going to receive what she had always promised me.

The day that the truck arrived, I was both nervous and excited. As each box was handed to me, the grin on my face grew bigger and bigger. I brought all the boxes home and dove into them. To my surprise, there was not just one china pattern packed away, but three! Three! I guess the saying, “good things come to those who wait” could apply here. I treasure these Dreamy sets so very much because of who they belonged to, and also for their vintage beauty. Ok, I can’t wait any longer…let’s get on with the photos!

This is the set that I was expecting. It’s Wedgewood’s Columbia pattern.



We always referred to this as the Christmas China, because that’s when it sat before us every year.



The next set was a nice surprise. English Staffordshire’s Biarritz pattern.



These are extremely fragile, so I don’t use them very often at all.





This is what we refer to as The Adams China.



This is the china that our family had commissioned back in the 1700’s. Is that cool, or what?



You can see that there are lots of boo-boos, but I’m sure I would look wayyyyy more tattered than this if I was born in the 1700’s…



So if you stayed with me through this entire blog, you are a trooper! Photos are fun to look at, but I had to tell the history of these, to convey why these hit my list for All Things Dreamy. Now it's my turn to see what Dreamy things you all have written about this week...


Here is who we are linking up to this week...join these fabulous bloggers!



HookingupwithHoH

Here is how you link up with us...
1) Look for the words "You are Next Click Here to Enter" and click on them. Follow the linking instructions on the Mr Linky page.
2) Copy and paste the All Things Dreamy link button onto your blog, so that others can come by and say hi, if they wish!
3) Leave a comment on my post...you dont' have to, but it sure makes me smile!
3) Show some link love by visiting other's links as well - you may just make some new friends for life!

44 comments:

★Carol★ said...

I'm so happy for you, that the china finally made it's way to you and your home! What a wonderful story, and I wish you had gotten more of your Grandma's things, but the china is amazing. After seeing the Biarritz pattern, I need to find at least one piece of it, because that cottage is beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing this story!
Happy VTT!
Carol

Crystal said...

What a lovely story. Things can be beautiful but so much more so with a history like this one!

Flory said...

Wow, these are some remarkable china... i love the second set, I've never seen a china like that so beautiful!
Flory

Coloradolady said...

My goodness, your story had me from the start. I too was the only granddaughter when my grandma passed away, and I did not get much....your china is amazing...that second set, well, gasp! I simply love it!! I am so happy you got all of that china....that is great! Have a great VTT!

Red Couch Recipes said...

Good things sometimes come to those who wait! Three sets and all lovely and one that was commissioned for your family---hard to beat that! Joni

Martha said...

I'm so happy that you finally got your china! And three sets! They are are lovely! I can't figure out which I like best!

Beth said...

Your china is amazing! I really love the second set you showed as its shape is so unique. The Wedgewood is gorgeous too - they all are. So glad you got them and hope you can pass them on to someone who will treasure them as much as you do someday!
Beth

Jocelyn said...

What beautiful china! And how wonderful that you finally received what your grandmother wanted you to have :-)

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Oh how wonderful to have not one but three sets of your grandmother's china! I love them all and how very special they must all be to you.

Postcardy said...

That is amazing that you got three nice sets after so many years. Personally, I can live without any sets of china, but I really love all of yours. They would be nice even if they weren't family heirlooms.

Shirley said...

All the china is beautiful but the second one with the square plates and the cottage is so different. I really like it.

Deborah said...

Are you saying that set is over 200 years old??? Wow that is amazing. The other patterns are gorgeous too. Lucky girl.

Anita Diaz said...

What incredible treasures to have!! Beautiful...all of it! I too love anything belonging to family because it has such special meaning!

Marigene said...

Diane, what a wonderful story about your china. All 3 sets of china are beautiful...but my favorite is the Biarritz, love the little thatched roof cottage.

Ann said...

Of course I stayed with you til the end...what a great, great story. I love all the china patterns but my favorite is the Staffordshire pattern. That is the most breath taking pattern and the square design...I'm lusting away down here in AZ!!!
Fondly,
Ann
@
The Tattered Tassel

Lana said...

WOW! I love every single one of these china patterns!!!
Hugs, Lana

Charlotte said...

OMG! What lovely china! Especially the second set! Sorry you had to wait so long to get them, but it was worth the wait.

Carol at Serendipity said...

I am so happy that you got your china. It is all absolutely gorgeous. I have never seen any china like the second.

I like your blog.

Carol

Keetha Broyles said...

The Adams China is my favorite - - - hands down.

The Taffy Box said...

I love all things vintage and sentimental! I loved the photos of these china patterns! So cool! I wish I had the guts to serve my family on such pretty things....but they're mostly guys, and they wouldn't appreciate it.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful story! And so amazing that you have that set from the 1700's still in your family! I can imagine how much you treasure your wonderful new collection!

CC said...

Your story was lovely..and of course I stayed till the end..the stories are what make our things the treasures they are. The china is beyond gorgeous...but the Adams set just took my breath away. Happy VTT

Lori Lucas said...

What a great story... and even better what absolutely gorgeous, wonderful dishes. I am so envious. I don't know which one I like best. I could not even choose. All are wonderful and especially that it means so very much to you. Enjoy and thanks for sharing. Lori L

Tricia said...

Oh, I know that WAS a thrilling day, when you FINALLY got your china! And all three patterns are lovely -- what a blessing! I treasure my grandmother's china, too. I look forward to your tablescapes with your pretty dishes!

Kelly said...

Everything is so lovely on your site. I can't wait to visit it again.
Kelly Bookend Diaries

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

What beautiful china and all the patterns are so wonderful. How sweet that must be to know the history of the pieces too.

vicki archer said...

Such a lovely tale and such pretty china...xv

Sally Annie Magundy said...

My gosh, was that ever worth the wait, huh?! Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! And what a cherished treasure.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Your grandmother's china is beautiful. The staffordshire china is so unusual with the square shape. I know you will always treasure this gift.

Susan Freeman said...

Your post is a post made in heaven for me! I love china and you have some fabulous pieces!! Thank you so much for sharing. Now I have to go back and take a second look!!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Jennie said...

What a wonderful history and great family treasures! I love it when there is a happy ending!

Miss Merry said...

You are so lucky to have those lovely dishes and share in their history. All of the patterns are wonderful and I know you will love using them to create more history and memories for your family.

Debra@CommonGround said...

Hi Diane, so glad you came by. What a wonderful story about how you came to receive the sets of china! I have never seen anything like that Staffordshire cottage pattern you have. The square plates and saucers are just amazing! I'm so glad you asked me to come by. just joined as a follower!
hugs,
Debra

Miri said...

What beautiful and wonderful family heirlooms these are! Glad they came to rest with someone who loves and appreciates them.

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

I absolutely love the Biarritz dishes. I have them in the Rural Scenes patterns and Jenny Lind...both transferware. I like alot of the A J Wilkinson/Royal Staffordshire pieces like this. Love the cottages on yours!

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

am so happy for you! at last its yours.. those chinas are stunning! especially the wedgewoods.. really stunning.. such precious inheritance!

Denise Marie said...

Oh...goody!! I'm thrilled for ya.

Allison @ House of Hepworths said...

Your china is beautiful!!!

Needles Everywhere said...

My word, what a wonderful story. I teared up reading it and would have been sobbing as I unpacked. I didn't get anything inheritated and it's so touching. It's also amazing and beautiful. I can't believe you have china from the 1700s that was commissioned, that is SOOOOOO incredible. Congratulations to you.

Angela said...

Excellent Post!!! i love it!!!!
great China... and the story is so worth it.

Miss you!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh My! All 3 of these sets are beautiful! How neat that your family had a set commissioned, and that you now have that set. I love that set with the cottage on it! Oh, and that first set is so elegant. Great post. I'm so glad I scrolled down to see it. laurie

Mona Kay Gorman said...

The china is so beautiful, and so is the yellow and white table cloth in the first picture!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Beautiful china!! I love the squared dishes with the flowers and cottage in the center- gorgeous! Stopping by from Funky Junks~ nice to meet you! :)

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Diane, I remember this post well. I remember being so impressed that your family had their own, commissioned china, and I remember falling in love with those square dishes with the cottages on them. All of it is so fabulous, and even more so because it belonged to your grandmother. Definitely a post worth repeating. laurie

Related Posts with Thumbnails